Tuesday, May 3, 2011

victor 122 -1010



the Captain takes his volunteer work much more seriously than I. He is at the top of the phone tree when there is a call out, so 80% of the time it happens, he is out helping.

ME .... not so much. I pick & choose. I am (probably) a more typical "volunteer". He's been out at 4:30am to post signs or run caution tape. He's been on his feet for 10 hours at a time. Me?? (once again) .... nuh uh. I have done the 6 hours thing and ... liked it - WHEN I'M DONE! No, seriously ... there have been times when I am A-O-K and loving it ..... but after the first 3 hours- I can think of a million things I could be doing at home. This may change with time .... but this retirement thing is still feeling new to me, & I approach it differently than he. With regard to the Captain- the ONLY retirement he's experienced is that of his pay being retired ... since physically, he is far more active than when he was working (brain work) In a given week, he is likely to have been on a hike (or 2), kayaking, paddle boarding, biking, gardening, & a (walking) patrol (or several). HOWEVER ... the point of this post was to point out that volunteering to be the police presence at a local arts/crafts gathering this past Sunday was frosting on the cake for me ..... we were out in beautful weather, gorgeous scenery, & amongst people who were there to relax & enjoy the same. At the end of our 4 hour shift, we grabbed some kettlekorn & headed to our own slice of heaven to spend the rest of the day! not bad eh??

No comments: