Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life's rough, wear a helmet !

Of course I mean this (helmet thing) figuratively for the most part. This "helmet" might be a straight face, humor, keeping your distance, keeping things professional, etc. Things that keep you from taking things personal that might otherwise ruin your day, your relationship, your financial well being. We all find a way to protect ourselves in our jobs, in our life. Over & over on any given day really. With some luck, you don't even have to put a lot of effort toward doing so but ..... sometimes, we protect ourselves too well. We avoid hurt of any type so successfully that NO ONE can get past those barriers. We can push away those trying to help, those who really care. And even though I have learned to occassionally let down that barrier (sometimes still in error). So I believe the lessen here is that it is the RIGHT SIZE of helmet we need to all wear. If you are constantly protectiong yourself in your life, it is exhausting!! I think it took me 6 or so years of marriage to the Captain before I took my elbow pads off!! Thank goodness he has been so patient with me (and my baggage).

No comments: