Saturday, January 21, 2012

YAY, then NAY, then pretty darn yay again ....

OFF we went, only 10 minutes behind our "pretend" schedule in the cool, cool, cool of the coastal morning- for our annual trek to Palm Springs. As the story goes- when Betty & Bill purchased this timeshare property, it was in anticipation of being DONE with the holidays, & getting out of the gloomy, Bay Area, January weather .... and into the sunshine of the high desert. And it worked for a lot of years. ENTER a move to the central coast and .... uh ... hmmm .... not so gloomy, & going toward (often) not so sunny!! WHAT'S wrong with this picture?!! AT ANY RATE .... the first 1/2 of the drive is somewhat scenic .... & I love the first FULL view of the ocean. It takes my breath away (still- even every day at home). And I'm clicking away pictures- but nothing does it justice ... perhaps because the windows are a wee bit dirty (and I let the Captain know he is ruining my foto diary of the day!) LOW & BEHOLD, not near close enough to our destination, but WAAAAY too soon ... we get to the "less desirable" route of our journey. Towns with 3-13 times the population of our oceanside community ... landscaped with tumbleweeds and rocks. NOT my cup of tea ... but a whole lotta people must feel differently! I find them neither scenic nor interesting and, rather oddly, even though it is in the 50's ....looking hot & dry. barren. endless. void of color. The one exception is when we near our destination and drive through the wind farms. There is something facinating about the little communities of design. And I locked on the baby ones that were being instructed by a senior member of the group. Given the time of day- it must have been the pep talk held at the end of the work schedule (and gear up for tomorrow's predicted winds)FINALLY a little healthy growth starts showing up and I can see Palm Springs in the distance. As we cruise through town ... I glance at the thermometer. Um, that's a nice way to end the travel. Mild, comfortable temp :o) And we got here safely. DAY #1- successful.



No comments: