Sunday, March 4, 2012

in the middle of the end


DOWN IN THE MEADOW IN AN ITTY BITTY POOL
SWAM THREE ITTLE FIDDIES & A MAMA FISHY TOO
SWIM SAID THE MAMA FISHY, SWIM IF YOU CAN
AND THEY SWAM, & THEY SWAM, ALL OVER THE DAM

I can hear dad singing this .... I hear it as clear in my head as if he was in this room with me ... and he is- but it's no longer "him". Today, the beginning of day 4.... he is a shell. Almost a caricature of his once Fred Flintstone figure of strength. As recently as 48 hours ago, he was still making a humorous comment. He was still telling this "harem" of kids how beautiful we are.
Now- he sleeps.... hopefully dreaming of his true love, who sits patiently at her majestic slot machine .. playing HIS numbers ... with a mischievous smile spreading across her face. Because she knows he will be joining her soon. SHE knows they have a new journey to make TOGETHER soon. I'm hoping that the occasional grin I see on dad's face now- is because he can see her in the distance .... perhaps feeling he's getting closer to being in her arms once again & already enjoying it's warmth. It's ok dad ... we will figure out things on our own ... you can walk toward her faster if you want. We miss you already.

No comments: