Thursday, March 21, 2013

A 6 year old "yesterday"

There are memories that fade or become distorted with time.  Dates or timing that waivers.  And there are those etched on one's heart as if very little time has passed.  TOday, we returned to a Chinese take out joint that we used to go to at least once a week.  To this day, I have yet to find another chicken salad the way they made it (among other things).  I was leery about planning our lunch there .. knowing so much time has past and perhaps .. my memories of how "good" it was ... could be less than reliable since it's been at least 6 years since our last visit.  I would rather remember what it used to be like, rather than be disappointed that it's gone or changed!  BUT IT WASN'T!  Even the employees were the same.  And the salad .... excellent!
In a perfect world, we should be so lucky to NOT be disappointed or saddened by memories... we should be lucky enough to forget the bad  memories and ONLY remember the good ones.  But life isn't as graceful & loving as that.  Tomorrow will be the 6th anniversary of losing the best friend I've ever had.  Not to short change the friends I have made since ... but in all honesty, no one could ever replace this woman.  Her name was Betty (still is, I suppose).  She was the first person who ever excepted me for exactly who I was.  She adored me.  She loved me completely.  And these things I reciprocated in full ... making her death, one of the most difficult events I have ever experienced.  Rarely a day goes by that I don't think of her in some way, there was so much more we had planned to do together.  She has only visited me once since she left this physical world ... but I look forward to another ... any day, any time ... hopefully soon.


No comments: