Tuesday, March 5, 2013

fallen petals

the moment I caught sight of the condition of my white rose bouquet yesterday, the title of this blog was set.  Coincidentally ... it was the anniversary of my father's passing, and that made the phrase even more meaningful (and emotional).  My sisters posted some great pictures of their personal adventures with him ... some of which I hadn't seen before.  The smiles were heart warming and my comment on one was how it seems like only months ago since he died... but that I felt like I had been missing him so much longer than that.  He was a really special man, a true "dad".  I don't have any of his belongings or pieces of him or my mom here with me .. so a picture of the past or a comment the Captain & I share that we used to hear them say .. is what I rely on to remember them daily.
This particular set of roses is from our own yard.  I bought the bush a few days after Pa Bill died last July (my wonderful father-in-law).  I haven't had rose bushes for many years and yet when I saw this one .. it immediately made me think of he & mom Betty.  It blooms regularly and stands guard at what used to be their patio door.  SO many things of theirs now nestles in various corners of our home.  Seems fitting, since the Captain & I have a lot in common with how their relationship worked .. and they were 69 year role models of marriage for us!
SO- though the roses have been "recycled" into the garden now .... the memories that they brought into my heart still linger ... a little closer to the surface for a few days, I'm sure.  And those last 4 stars in the sky tonight?  THAT would be the 4 of them ... reminding me that they are in a good place and best of all .. together with their true loves!  (I love & miss you all)

No comments: