April 14, 1975 .......
I awoke around 6am, to a noise in the ceiling and listened for a while before waking my husband & asking him what he thought it was. (turned out to be a couple of mice) ... it was a few minutes before his normal rising time so we were lying there talking when my water broke. I called my mom- described the feeling & the mild cramps that started a short time later and she told me I was in labor. It wasn't uncomfortable .. just noticeable. Within an hour we were loading into the car to head to the hospital. The contractions were a little closer together, but not urgent. By 9'ish, I was settled into my room & awaiting the OB's arrival ... the contractions got a little stronger & a monitor was attached. Jerry (baby-daddy) & I talked about how excited we were to see this baby we had longed for and wondering if it was a boy or a girl. We are talking about 38 years ago when ultrasounds were ONLY done when there was concern during the pregnancy!
WELL- to make the next 4 hour story a little shorter (!), my son Terry was born at 1:11pm that afternoon. Which, I might add, was his actual due date!! His arrival did not disappoint me, for I fell in love the moment I saw him ... and he has yet to do so since (okay, maybe a couple of times .. after all, he WAS a teenager for a few years!!)
I love my baby, who has since grown to a very tall, funny, intelligent, hardworking, & beautiful man!! And today- I wish him a BIG Happy Birthday!! I love you T.

No comments:
Post a Comment