I'm growing more accustomed to those senior moments that used to piss me off (don't bother to pardon my french). They happen so frequently now, that it is part of my personality to make an extra trip up or down the stairs, into the garage or out to the storage room. On a mission to grab something, I get to my destination & find my attention snared by something I was looking for weeks ago, or my energy loaned out to tidy up- and I end up returning to my original project or chore, wondering where I left off- which of course leads me to what I actually left for to begin with. Once upon a time, there may have been a "ha-rumph" of frustration heard at that point. These days, I see it as #1 ... an exercise program, or #2 ... multi-tasking! Well, in an abstract sort of way ... really. These specks of time no longer upset me .. for they're only just that... specks of time in my day, and what did it hurt?
BUT- it gives me reason to ponder (duh) ... that things just seconds ago have disappeared, at least momentarily, and yet ..... other snippets of conversation or split seconds caught on glossy paper- are etched on my mind in such a way that I can literally feel the emotion it first evoked ... an instant replay of the smile (sometimes giggle) returns. vividly.
SOME of these brain visions (as I refer to them) are pivotal or turning points ... like the day my twin sisters were born. 2 months early, & being a surprise that there was even TWINS at all. The birth of my own 2 sons ... clear as the nose on my face (?), the night their dad told me he wanted "out" (the stab in my chest), holding my grandchild for the first time (I melted), watching the last breath my father took(a pain& sight I never want to relive), and ... go figure- the first time I fed a giraffe (this list goes on & on). Yet- a great deal of the snapshots that pop in & out on a regular basis are silly moments, memorable only to me (??) The intentional wrong pronunciation of a word that then takes on an alternate meaning, the look on someone's face at a particular moment, the position my cats sleep in (as you can witness here), the ever-available smile on the Captain's face.(ditto) THESE are things I enjoy over & over in my mind .. that somehow manage to tip toe all the way to my heart in nano seconds at any given time. And sometimes ... particularly when there are other things less pleasant going on ... these are the pictures that I never want to let go of. THESE are the snippits, moments, nano seconds, instants, specks, and brain visions I want to rewind & replay ... over & over.
Excuse me for a moment ....I'm having one now.


No comments:
Post a Comment