Thursday, August 8, 2013

No woe is me from this end

Reading the newspaper can put ones problems or issues in prospective.  I may not have the best forecast with regard to the weather of my life, but it's blue skies & sunshine compared to the routine headlines & editorials on an average day.  Certainly I would be in far greater distress if my child had been abducted, my family in the line of a hurricane, or ... A meteor was heading straight toward the United States!
I'm not one to routinely feel sorry for myself.  In the long run, it seems like it would be a huge waste of time.  And these days, I can't afford that.  I can afford to go to a major league ball game.  I can afford to go to Hawaii every year. I can afford almost anything that I actually WANT.  But at this point, I can't afford to waste time.
BUT.....
The way I choose to spend IT, is a personal decision.  I've been told a lot lately that it's all about me now.  A concept I have joked about many a time, but never believed.  Ok, I take that back..there have been times when I had the choice to clean house or have a pedi, and to justify choosing the latter.. determined I deserve some pampering.  That's an "all about me" kinda statement, in my book.  But I wasn't picking ME over someone else's well being.  SO I hear the all-about-me comments and they still make me feel a little selfish.  I understand the concept, the thought behind it, even the sentiment in which it is spoken... but I'm not totally buying into it.
Yet. (!).
And ...given the headlines splashed across our daily paper each day ... Perhaps I never will.

No comments: