Wednesday, November 20, 2013

luck is in the eye of the beholder... and I am "beholding"

I have never been one to trust in the powers (if you will) of a rabbit foot or horse shoe, etc .... but there are a couple of trinkets that I am RARELY without these days.  Things that I feel lucky to have, not because they bring me luck.
The way I see it ... being diagnosed with any cancer, much less an incurable one- is not a lucky break in any sense of the word.  BUT- not having died from it yet (5 mos), after having taken care of my father-in-law diagnosed & succumbed to the same, less than 2 mos from his diagnosis ... could be considered lucky. Knowing my life will be cut short by some imminent amount of time certainly doesn't seem lucky by measure. But knowing this fact, I can find a little or lotta something(s) to make each day count.  I can live until I die- rather than die before I really finished living!
My sand dollar necklace came with a card noting how each is one of a kind & special in it's unique-ness. My Sister, Cindy, gifted me with it to remind me of that fact.  I put it on that day & it has never left me since.  I especially like that it doesn't tangle with any of my other necklaces that I love wearing daily.
I received this medallion within days of my diagnosis by the person I first told of my suspicions of what turned out to be fact.  I out it in my bra within minutes and wore it to every appointment for the next 3 weeks and upon receiving bad news at or from every test or appointment, I stopped carrying it- til I realized (or decided, as it may be) that it was more about how lucky I am to have such a wonderful, caring, & thoughtful friend & neighbor in my life as Julie is.  She is one of the 2 people I KNOW I can routinely call, text, or email at most any hour if I need moral support or a quick hug.... as they are just a moment away!!
   SO YES- I am beholding to the fact that I am lucky in ways far & beyond winning a contest or catching a foul ball, or even being in the right place at the right time.  I am MUCH LUCKIER than that!!

1 comment:

Cindy Welch said...

Your are unique and in many ways lucky. Ignoring the cancer topic, Luck, Karma, Fate, call it what you may but I am so lucky to have you as my sister xoxoxo