Monday, November 11, 2013

the perks of sisters being friends

My sisters and I have always routinely kept "in touch" - but my recent diagnosis has stepped up our interaction nearly 10 fold, simply because we all know the time we have left together, is limited.  We talk about it openly, with and without tears via phone, face time, text & email- knowing that there is also another plan to gather in person as well.  We've talked long and hard about how we feel about each other and make sure nothing goes unsaid. Along the way, we have found even more things in common than we realized.  AND I- have learned to ask for what I want, & to be more comfortable with asking for help.  They have encouraged it all along.  They have been at my beck & call numerous times.  They have found MANY ways to show how much they love me and .... they have proven that they are as much my friends as they are my siblings.  This doesn't come as a surprise to be, as I have always considered them so- but I find that they have managed to become part of my inner circle- all at the same time!  The beauty (and perk if you will) of sisters being friends is that there is less sense of obligation.  And now, I am finding- less feeling of guilt when I call out to them.  A couple of weeks ago, my sister Cindy was my sidekick and this weekend, it was my sister Lisa.  When I asked if she would come ... there was no hesitation... just as I found to be the case with Cindy.  And my sister Lindy is already signed, sealed and ready for delivery in a few days.  I know what I ask of them is inconvenient or costly at times and yet- they immediately make the necessary plans so that I am comforted knowing they will soon be with me.  That's not just family... that's a whole lotta friendship happening!  So- with Foo's arrival (Lisa) ... so cometh that which I have given her every year for nearly the past 10.  a moose.  And not just any moose.  A moose of my choosing, in whatever form I deem to be "the one" for each time around.  I've gone as far as moose lip balm, slippers, or carved in wood ... to the adorable fella you see here.  He was named LINCOLN and low & behold- he was quite a hit on their train ride home!!  
    I face an uncertain, drastically shortened life that has brought them to me on a more regular basis, of that I'm sure .... but I can tell you this;  had I asked sooner, they would have come sooner, because that's the kind of sisters AND FRIENDS they are, and I am so much richer, happier, and blessed because of it!!
Sissys unite!  I love you all.  

No comments: