Thursday, February 6, 2014

another day (& memory) closer to our next journey


I remember this day .... in December 2008

The Captain and I went to the Oahu airport to pick up our friends LuLu & Bruce , who would be sharing a beach house with us for a few days during the Sweet Adelines International competition.  Later that day, Helena joined us as well.  It is one of the most WONDERFUL memories I have, made special by the company we kept in a place once can't help but thrive in.
The house, in itself, was amazing for it's view... the ocean, the waves, the constant turtle sightings- separated from us by ONLY by a patch of green grass and a lava rock sea wall.  

The competition is what brought us there ... the environment, the companions ... is what kept us there- at the house- watching the competition via internet connection, rather than live (we had the tickets already).  TO go to the convention center would have been to share our experience with others.  our time, our friendship, our own music .... we didn't want to share with anyone- we wanted it all to ourselves!  We still have all those things- USUALLY relived and built upon over a few days time each new years holiday.  With luck, and extra planning- we manage a weekend here & there too.  
NOTHING will quite compare to this trip together... but everytime I'm with these gals, we laugh (and cry) & reminisce like only days or weeks have passed, rather than months.

THESE pictures speak a thousand words to my heart... I can feel the joy, hear the music in the backround, and even smell the mist of the ocean waves breaking 50' away.  I will be seeing both LuLu & Helena the day before we fly out to Maui.  It will be like old times.. a little silly, a little wistful.  And those 2 or so hours- will allow me to feel like I'm taking a little piece of them with us.  I like that idea, I like that they adore Hawaii, and I love these gals!!  We call orselves the tripods.

No comments: