Tuesday, March 4, 2014

(de)constructive criticism

APPARENTLY... I have crossed the line.  I've been called on the carpet.  I've been made accountable. I have to face the music.  I've talked the talk and now I have to walk the walk (on the plank).   ???, you ask?  Confused?  (I am)
bottom line ..... constructive criticism ONLY works or helps for those open to reconstruction.  In the course of my job.... I have managed, according to the .1 VS 99.9%, the total destruction of her confidence.  I immediately addressed her email to me with sentences full of sincere apology of my actions....as I would NEVER purposely direct comments meant to demean or deflate someone.

On one hand.... I feel really terrible that she feels terrible.  On the other hand (I think the left one), she went on to point out things I have done wrong in the past that are totally unrelated to the supposed purpose of her email.  On one hand, I am TOTALLY appreciative that she pointed out the affect my words had on her, but on that left hand again - that is why I was asked to do what it is I am doing.  I have worlds of experience in a field in which she is a newborn.

ALL THIS being said ... I will have a different approach when I return to my post, which (unfortunately) will be one of completely avoiding any suggestions in her direction- regardless of it's intent for the good of the group.  There may be an "I" in her spelling of team that I was not previously aware of.  AND .... I could be wrong.  (it happens)

While I am still scratching my head over this one... I'm sure life will soon give me something far more important to worry about in it's stead (she even pointed out that my illness is no excuse for my behavior?!)  SO even though it's bugging me at the moment, I have more pressing things in my life to give attention to... like, "what's for dinner Captain?"

No comments: