Saturday, June 25, 2011

I can hear your laugh

I wander through my picture files (on the computer) on a regular basis. Usually looking for something for a scrap layout, or a card-

and everytime I see this one ... I remember the event (Thanksgiving 2005) and I can hear your laugh. You are here with Dad and Anthony. I love the smile on dad's face. I'm not sure we have seen one that genuine on him since you passed. He misses you so. (as we all do of course) You are wearing a shirt I gave you. I probably even gave your hair a trim that day. Yesterday, the Captain & I watched a DVD that was made in '02 when you, dad, Lisa, & Cindy came to Palo ALto to watch my chorus perform. Coincidentally, the 4 of you were in the FRONT row, right next to Betty, Bill & Ken- and I found myself watching you guys as much as the performance on the screen. It was one of the very few times you actually have seen me in action. I loved that you guys were there. It's probably what got me thinking about you so much the last couple of days. Even though I can feel a lump in my throat right now, I still smile with the memory of your laugh and how much you liked my harvest cobbler I made for dessert this day. I cook a lot like you used to - throwing things together that sound like they might work, rarely following a recipe word for word. Yeh, I have some goofs like you did now & again ... but I haven't double salted any scratch biscuits yet and you would LOVE my latest batch of fresh applesauce!! I miss you mom. Come by sometime soon.

1 comment:

Cindy Welch said...

I miss her too, its true dad no longers smiles like that. I wrote her a letter a couple months ago saying all the things i never got a chance to say...