Wednesday, May 2, 2012

life has it's ups & downs (for ALL of us)

I don't remember much about this time of my life.  Memories are vague, with photos few & far between.  My recollections of childhood seem to begin around the age of 8.  Finances were tight for mom- on her own with 3 youngins'.  We never went hungry or felt abandoned .... but my older brother & myself had a lot of adult responsibilities simply because my mom was carrying the load of 3 jobs on her back.

Then life changed ... for the better, when mom met & married this man who became our first REAL dad.  The family grew, we had stability, consistancy, laughter in our "home", & family dinners!  It was the first time I remember ever living in the same house for over a year.  And I felt safe! 

Eventually (duh) ... I grew up, married, & had a family of my own.  SADLY, I thought I had learned from the mistakes made before me.  I was going to live happily ever after- with 2 kids, a house, a pool, & camping vacations every year.  And ALL OF THAT happened ... well, except for the happily ever after part!  13 years later, I was on my own (for the first time actually), a little shakey ... but managing.  Some hard work (& and a few disappointments) later, I was finally comfortable with myself & accepting of my failures & my accomplishments.  And then ......

somehow- out of the blue .... without warning (or even hoping) ..... I met the Captain.  Through a series of odd & unusal circumstances, we crossed paths at a time in our lives when it did us the most good.  NEITHER of us were interested in a permanent relationship.  We enjoyed each other's company, talked a LOT.  We  became friends .... lovers ....  & partners in 1999, at a fairytale wedding spot on Maui.
And as if life wasn't good enough at that point- we found ourselves with the opportunity to move to the coast.  Closer to my family & with plans to remodel & add Mom & Dad I to the household.  It was unbelievable!!  It's a beach house castle fit for the Princess I am ... & comes complete with neighbors worth their weight in gold.  WOW

In the meantime .... we were gifted with 2 adorable grandkids!  Anthony was born in 2005, with Addyson folowing in 2007.  We get to spend ALMOST enough time with them .... although their school, sports, & home life seems to be interfering! (haha)  They get more beautiful (and fun) with each passing year and we love sharing the beach with them.  ADD to all of this- that the Captain & I are both retired .... although our shedules don't seem to reflect that fact ?!

NOW- a new chapter officially begins in my life.  I joined a local Sweet Adeline chorus a year ago after a 6 year hiatus, and as a result, have gained a whole lotta music & joy.  Better yet, an amazing group of friends have been added to my inner circle, and as of today ... MORE time & energy being added to my plate.  But as hectic & perhaps even stressful as things may get around here .... I know I will be facing them with the Captain at my side and a HUGE smile on my face!!!  Yes, life is good (better than good)


No comments: