I have never made it a secret that I watch some of the Real Housewives programs. I'm not a closet viewer, even though I gently justify -when the captain teases me about it. On rare occasion, there are tender, thought provoking moments. In a recent episode, a "housewife" went to visit her family. Candidly, she was a fish out of water. She claims that she doesn't connect with her Texas planted family, and that she knew when she was in high school that she would not stay in the small town of Waco- and she moved away the day after she graduated. This woman is a multi millionaire and her family are good ole, down-to-earth boys (r-e-a-l people). For her, the distance between her life & theirs (speaking logistically) is a relief. She cares about them (and generously contributes to the local school programs, etc) ... but she doesn't identify with them and therefore, it is a lot of emotional work to be with them.
One can't help but be comparative while watching these programs... and I am no exception. One of my "excuses" for my semi-addiction to these formats is that they are #1 not r-e-a-l, and therefore ... TOTALLY different from my life, making them entertaining! In this case ... the idea of removing myself from the lives of my sisters (ie) by thousands of miles (or anything else for that matter) ... is unimaginable to me. During retirement discussions years ago to move away- the deciding element came down to NOT wanting to be that far away from family, unless we we all had the ability to travel at will to visit each other. DUH. The electronic era has provided us with the ability to chat, share, post, blog, and alert at any hour of the day from anywhere in the world (and we have) and rarely a day goes by without communication from one or more of us in different combinations or configurations. I am thankful beyond words... particularly at this junction in my life ... that we can go without sharing physical space and still be connected at the hip (or heart as the case may be).
ENTER today ....
There is family .... far removed- that is holding out for an appearance from me. I've yet to come to grips with this new information. I'm not sure I have the emotional (or physical) strength for what could be a let down or entanglement. I'm looking for a sign of the direction to turn at this crossroad. Time will tell I suppose (doesn't it always?)
but ... I do believe that water can be pretty thick sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment