Wednesday, January 12, 2011

my roses look like calla lilies

Retirement has made it possible for me to take time to stop & smell the roses every day ..... and I'm trying to convince my Captain to do the same. The process is moving quite slow. He lines up too much to do, then adds to the list. That's too frustrating to me. I set my expectations far lower than that. He & I think differently on this subject. Lately, I have stated to the Captain on at least 3 occassions that if something in particular consistantly DOES NOT meet his expectations- then he should either lower them, or change his reaction to the disappointment. He scoffs at this, and I scoff at his frustration. Our scoff encounters are all in good humor, but it's another example of left brain VS right brain. Mars va Venus. Rattled vs relaxed. It's why he has more gray hair, (and less hair for that matter), more wrinkles, more headaches, less time, and always, ALWAYS ...... a much longer "list". Years ago, when I was working 50 hr weeks- it was important to make lists so that I stayed focused and organized enough to get everything done. When I went to part time, lists enabled me to know at a glance how much more I could add to my plate. Now, my lists remind me that there are still things to accomplish on a regular basis. And on my list somewhere .... in some way .... for some amount of time ..... is the opportunity to once again, stop and smell the roses, every day.

No comments: