3 days from now, by this time of the morning, I will be 1/3 of the way .... HEREAs we near our destination, I will see many scenes such as this even from the plane.
And at this point, my heart beat will start to slow, my watch will become an adornment rather than a time piece and my craving for papaya, dragon fruit, pineapple, macadamia nut wontons & ono will begin (and an occassional mai tai & lava flow as well). I will wear a lei for a couple of days, then place in on my nightstand or bedpost, so the fragrance tiptoes about the room for a few days after.
We will go to a farmer's market (at least once if not more), and a bouquet of lobsterclaw heliconia, ginger & tuberose will accompany us back to our "nest", along with local veggies & apple bananas ..... much more costly than home- but worth it. With luck, I will see the old gray horse at the weathered fence off the potholed road and feed him a few carrots.We've been to Kauai 10 times + and still ..... my heart yearns each year for it's lush earthiness, slow & quiet pace, and most of all the peace it settles within me as I recline with a book or puzzle under a scraggly tree that offers "just enough" shade on Kalapaki beach. It's a stone's throw from our bedroom and the place we find ourselves most often during our stay. With VERY FEW exceptions, we no longer "schedule" events or outings, other than to note those places we want like to check out ... because of a particular view or favorite menu item. There really are no more "out of the way" places (all the secrets are out) .... but we explore a little to find those spots less travelled. On Kauai, there is a Kodak moment around every corner and my camera card can fill up in a day, but there is little I have yet to witness already. However, in the haven of it's laid back beauty, I still click away to relive the sights over & over.
We will kayak, paddleboard & hike a bit- but more importantly, we will rejuvenate our minds & souls..... and find smiles on our faces, for no special reason! (other than being together in paradise)
No comments:
Post a Comment