I returned home today from an amazing, educational, bonding, exhausting, insightful, emotional, fattening, weekend- joyfully anticipating the checkerboard smile of this character .... and I was NOT disappointed. I have MUCH to share with regard to the weekend ... but THAT will have to wait. Letting the conversation I had at bed time with Gr child #1 ... is something I did not expect!
Earlier in the evening - "papa Bill" took a tumble. It was not a serious one (thankfully) ... but Anthony was witness to the level of help he needed afterward, and I believe that's what prompted his questions (and advice). Anthony & his little sister were here a couple of weeks ago. BEFORE they headed down for their rousing "hi Papa Bill" greeting that would be the norm, I, gwamma, sat them down and told them that he was sick and that too much noise or climbing on him would NOT be good for him. Thay adjusted their level of energy accordingly and nothing more was discussed at the time. TONIGHT, was an entirely different story. While preparing the youngin for bed, he went in the bathroom for final call- and afterward took me back in there (where Pa's fall had taken place), and showed me the different scenarios that may have taken place, causing the tumble (Pa wasn't sure what happened). Once he shared his thoughts & I had him snuggled into bed, I was explaining Pa's weak condition and how it translates to their interaction. I asked if he remembered how Pa looked a couple of weeks ago and he nodded yes ("he looked yellow, & a little sad"). I asked him if he thought papa Bill looked different now & he nodded once again ("he looks REAL yellow and he sleeps in his chair a lot more"). I told him that we took him to the Dr and there is something wrong inside him that the Dr can't fix. Anthony suggested at this point that we tell the Dr to do an Xray, and I told him we did that already. He asked if it was the special kind that really shows you what's wrong inside, and I confirmed this as well. He got tears in his eyes. I reciprocated. He asked if we could give the medicine that he (Anthony) had taken that tastes sort of like Sprite, made him feel better, & tasted really good .... so we talked about how age plays into the situation, & how some things make you die even sooner when you try to fix them. His final comment being - "if you try to fix him and he dies real soon, then maybe you shouldn't try, and maybe he won't die so soon ... and if the medicine makes him feel yucky, then don't give it to him." A few kisses and hugs later, along with his request to come sleep in my bed if he gets up before I do, he told me he would come get us if papa Bill calls for us, just in case we don't hear him!
Such serious thoughts and ideas from a young man that's only had 2 month's practice at being 7.

No comments:
Post a Comment