I announced Pa's travel plans a few weeks ago- & didn't indicate a specific departure date at the time. Part of the reason was because Dad was looking forward to seeing mom again after more than 5 years ... but still a little bit leary of the preparation that might be needed. I assured him that it he would not need to pack, or really do much planning overall ... sort of just "show up" for the most part. And I could see he was excited ... yet he still he lingered ever-so-slightly. But last night- we talked for a really long time ... well, I talked & he listened ... and I reminded him that mom has had a long time to plan the reception for his arrival and, in fact, since both my parents have joined her recently... the gathering would be even more joyous than originally planned. He thought about it briefly, but didn't make the move to leave just yet. So I kept talking ... I can do that if I am forced to! I asked if he could see mom in his dreams. I asked if she was reaching out to him, for him. I assured him that she would show him the way ... all he had to do is reach out & take her hand. Of course by this time, I'm crying because I know I'm gonna miss him when he leaves ... but I kept telling him to look for her & when he sees her- reach out. Take that last step that will allow them to be together forever. And he did.
Early this morning, he took flight to be with the woman he called his "sunshine" every morning. The very first girl he ever loved, & for 70 years, he has done just that.... loved & adored her. And now- in my mind ... I see the two of them walking the beach together .. making the footprints in the sand that I used to take pictures of. I hope our encouragement made it easier for ya Pa- I hope you will find a way to show me you are exactly where you wanted to be. and .. I do miss you already. I started missing you the day your diagnosis was presented to us. Aloha

No comments:
Post a Comment