Thursday, August 30, 2012

from out of the darkness ....


LAST NIGHT- about the time night closed in on the sounds of the roads around us.  about the time the moon was highest in the sky.  about the time I am in my deepest sleep .... http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php. 
Previously we assumed the critters we were hearing were screech owls, a-yakin back & forth.  But last night ... uh, correction, THIS MORNING (3:30-4am) the "screeching" began and it was obvious one of them was on our property...  I tip toed into the cool (ahh) air onto the lanai.  For me to behold, was a GREAT HORNED OWL !   With the moon shining brightlybehind him (her?), perched atop our flag pole- the silhouette indicated size and shape and .. in looking up information this morning regarding size & the sounds we heard last night - it turned out to be a juvenile begging shriek & the owl squawk (the link here will allow you to check them out yourself).  I could clearly hear both sounds from the lanai, so it's likely there was both an adult AND a juvenile present (I didn't think to look for 2!!).  We have routinely seen the owls around the neighborhood on lamp poles & fences just after dusk, but this encounter was a little more "up close & personal". woo hoo  AS FOR OUR CATS, they were sitting in the window of the dining room observing the scene ! 


No comments: