Sunday, July 26, 2009

who's the bird brain anyway?

With the addition of bird feeders, comes extra maintenance (and shopping)!
Being the spoiled cat owner that I am .... it is but second nature to look for ways to amuse them. The best way is to enable them to sit at a window to watch nature. Throughout our house there are numerous outlets for them to do so BUT, since I spend a significant amount of time in my craft room (not enough in my opinion- but only because work & sleep interfere) there are cat "seats" at the two windows which are opened at least partially nearly 365 days a year. BOTH of our felines hang out with me when I am there. Well, as if comfort and opportunity are not enough .... I felt they needed more to see than the occassional butterfly or squirrel, so we hung a bird feeder. It wasn't big enough so we hung a larger one. It needed a "little something more" so we added a small hanging bath. now .... WORD HAS GOTTEN OUT that we are the place to hang out if you like birdseed! Mind you, they scatter when I get near the window with my camera, so what you see below is ONLY a smattering of what is here at any given time on a sunny day. But I find they too are getting used to me, so it's just a matter of time before I get some better shots. I may set up my tripod at the window eventually & use the remote now & again just to see what I get! Of course the Captain pointed out that this means we will be hosing down the fence now & again because of the "deposits" left !
Monkey will sit & watch- facinated, for hours!!!
sometimes, there are squirrels amongst
the birds eating seeds that have fallen to the ground below!!
the blue jays are the noisiest. The dish the feeder sits in catches a lot of seeds that fall from the container- sometimes the tiny birds are IN the dish & you can only see the tips of their heads bob up while they are chewing!
As usual, the most popular eateries have waiting lines!!

No comments: