Monday, December 13, 2010

how many lifetimes have we been friends?

I have heard (and choose to believe) that after you die, you come back again ... and again, and again. Some feel that you return until you accomplish what you were intended for. I (choose to) believe that you return repeatedly - each time with what you gained from your last appearance. That you carry with you the lessons learned & mistakes paid for. That each arrival & departure brings additional enlightment, courage, & knowledge. I also believe that there are people that accompany you in these journeys .... just in different capacities. Perhaps as a sister the first time, your gardener the next, maybe your child in a 3rd life. It can span over tens, or hundreds or thousands of years. Who knows. I have a couple of friends that I truly feel that I have spent time with in previous lives. One of them- I visited this past weekend. In at least one previous life, she was there to help & support me emotionally. This time around, it's my turn to do the same for her. She is an amazing woman, & a wonderful friend. For that reason, it is painful to see her unhappy & struggling. Slightly older, & immensely more talented than I- she has had more challenges in her life than anyone deserves. She's a sensitive & tender soul. This, in part, causes her to be insecure & self conscious at times. She lacks the support system around her that she has given freely to so many others. She gives so much more than she gets, and in her selflessness .... she can end up feeling empty & lonely. This is when I am the most protective of her.... wishing I could do more ... wishing I could be close enough for a drive-by hug at any given time. She knows I love & care about her, but the logistical distance between us keeps us apart for longer time periods than either of us would prefer. Right now, she's going through a particularly difficult time, so being together this weekend was more meaningful than usual. With the recent & sudden loss of my mom, I feel more strongly that we should work toward visiting more often. To begin using what remains of this lifetime more wisely. If I needed her, she would fight an army to get to me, and I want to do the same. I love, respect, & adore this woman. With good people around her, she will gain the strength & determination she needs, to put her hopes & dreams on the road to realization. So as of now I say ..... let the good times roll again (soon)!!

No comments: