Tuesday, December 14, 2010

the tale of the musical rug .... and how it makes me smile

Last year (I think), I came across this doormat and thought it would be clever to put it right by the kitty beds so when they step on it, (and the music plays) it would take them by surprise. The antics created by any unexpected event around here are so entertaining. (obviously, it doesn't take much in this household). The letters are surrounded by teeny, colored lights that also blink as the music plays. I knew it was against the odds that either cat would step on just the right spot to activate (the 'O' in welcome) .... but just the same. So it sat in front of their beds .... where they go EVERY night when we settle in front of the TV or fireplace ..... and it sat ..... or perhaps it layed .... silently in wait. (with the key word being silently) After a few days, I began crawling over to them at some point (& more than once) each evening to set it off for them. I had pretty much figured out by this point that they weren't heavy enough to set it off easily. They did sniff it, by the way. A couple times I think. The music didn't disturb them. It didn't annoy or bother them. It ALSO didn't interest them. But I liked it!!! SO- pulling it out this year .... I noticed it looked almost new (duh) and I set out to find a more "active" place for it. BINGO .... at the landing of the stairs where we tromp up & down numerous times a day. NOT ONLY is it keenly located, but the music can be heard both up & downstairs (within reason), AND .... everyone hits the spot when they step onto it .... even if it means an extra step. The first day- it chimmed merrily more times than in all of last year's use. At night .... the little lights show up grandly and I love it even more!!! simply put- as the post title states ..... it makes me smile!!

No comments: