I'm into a novel on my Kindle that continues to intrigue me because I can't figure out where it's going. That's makes a book particularly interesting for me. The author, Lisa Unger, uses phrases that are almost poetic. If I am reading at night and feel myself getting tired, I often read on, planning to stop when I come across another bouquet of words. I read them over & over to absorb & remember them. (who are we kidding, I write them down). Sentences like "memory gets pulled like taffy in it's retelling" .... or "memories in shades of gray or sepia, that change color with current events". Oh that I could turn such a phrase. That is now a goal of mine ... to create such texture with sentences.
And speaking of what is now on my mind ..... I first have to express an AHHH ...... because we are back home and plan to stay put for a couple of weeks. I like that thought. It's a little quieter here than it has been for a few days and that, in itself, has it's own set of pros & cons. Young Anthony was returned to the nest today. The pros of said event is that he is with his sister, mommy & daddy for Christmas. He is at an age when you can explain more about the reasons & the spirit of Christmas, and his appreciation for the decorations and neighborhood light displays is sweet. His curiosity is in high gear and I can get him to do just about anything if I add an element of mystery or difficulty to it. He likes a challenge. He respects the boundries (I just have to remind him a couple of times). We had a list of things we wanted to explore/share with him during this visit but the time passed so quickly (and the weather didn't cooperate) :o( Todays day trip also allowed short visits with a couple of the "kids", and my dad as well. Lately, he's been a little under-the-weather emotionally. (and I doubt he's played dominoes since mom died) But with a little time & extra attention, he was doing better today and we had a nice chat. The trip felt like a double rainbow. Full of hugs & holiday wishes.
But NOW, the hallways here are quiet, and Anthony's blanky & favorite toys are tucked away for the next visit. Looking around the room, there is no evidence of his visit at all, except that both the cats are out in the open and not sneaking around corners checking if the coast is clear! By this time every evening he was here, he was usually asleep on my lap, or tucked away in bed already. He's a snuggler and I already miss him. (although I admit, I do like the idea of sleeping in tomorrow!). Here in lies the 'con' of the situation .... that it will be a while before his giggles & questions once again bounce off our walls.
SO- while I was neglectful of some chores or DeDe Do's while he was here, it was wonderful (& exhausting) none the same and .... well, tomorrow is another day to do my stuff !
No comments:
Post a Comment