Friday, October 28, 2011
the element of surprise (ours)
The Captain was on the phone ... trying to sort out the insurance carriers for Sirbil's 2012 medical coverage. I was in the bedroom, putting away freshly folded laundry. We BOTH heard the thump, signaling that a bird had hit one of the glass sliders- as I looked out, (seconds later), I saw Monkey's tail end going in the house ... followed by the Captain, setting a bird on the outside mat. The bird was stunned by the impact (a sparrow) and she was quick to grab it!! The Capt returned to his phone call & I watched the wee bird for a bit, it's breathing a little labored, blinking it's eyes. (do they see birds circling them after a head injury, like people do in the cartoons on TV?) After a couple of minutes, I gently picked up the slightly less feathered bird & placed it in the shade. I kept returning to see if it was ok. It took about 10 minutes, but it finally took flight & I saw it a short time later on the fence, chattering with some of it's mates .... no doubt telling of it's near death experience !! During all this time (and for another half hour), Monkey sat, layed & paced at the door. She finally gave up on the hope of another hunting expedition I guess!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment