Thursday, January 22, 2009

I neeeeeeeeeeed to read ....

ahhhh .... the sweet silence that allows me to read. I brought a couple of books I WANTED to get read on this getaway. The only reason they had not collected dust already was because I kept moving the 2 of them around my craft room every day. I was afraid to put them away- or I would forget to bring them on this trip. anyway - I am the type of reader that ONLY picks up a book to read if I am in the mood and environment to be able to get it done in a couple of days. The first I opened up was novel written by the spouse of someone I used to be close friends with. It was a story that I knew part of but had never heard in it's entirety. On the cover (Aloha Arizona), it states that it is inspired by a true story. I found it a little difficult to motivate myself to continue thru it- as there were parts that made the characters (that I thought I was well acquainted with), seem so different than as I know them. I think maybe it's just difficult reading about people you actually know. It was a fast read, and I am glad that I did so- as I purchased the book out of friendship and felt it was a given. I commend anyone taking on such a daunting task, and I do know they put a lot into it. The other book, which I just finished, was recommended by a couple of people in passing, and I also over-heard a couple of conversations about it. "The Shack" was ..... interesting. The main part of the book (which probably is more than half the book) brings the character face to face with God, Jesus & the Holy Spirit. Although I got into it, I still found it difficult to understand a lot of it. BUT, I felt like I wanted to hold up my hand to ask the teacher questions. There are many things raised here that I have wondered about but once again, like I student- some of it was "over my head". Sadly, I got to the point in couple of spots where I had to skim. However, having finished it earlier today, my mind wanders back to some of what I read every once in a while and I like that. For our travel home tomorrow, I am going to a People magazine so I don't take the whole traffic thing too seriously! The Captain has promised me a stop at Starbucks so I have already packed!!

2 comments:

Cindy Welch said...

have a safe trip back

2blueirises said...

I want to know what questions you have with regards to "The Shack", see ya Wednesday