Sunday, February 1, 2009

"grammie" NOT (!!) granny

having grandkids ...... priceless
HOWEVER, I do not want to be granny or a granny. I had one of those- who I loved with all my heart. She was the perf gramma. The fact that I was her favorite didn't hurt of course (maybe we each thought we were the favorite, which would make her truly perf). When my own mother asked my kids to refer to her as granny, I totally understood because I could see her being just as wonderful. And as true as that has been, I DO NOT feel the need to carry on the tradition. No disrespect intended, I just don't identify with the label for myself. Neither do I want to be called nana or mimi. They work well for others, just not me.
Sometimes I call my grandkids "rugrats" or "critters". Trust me, it is an endearing term when I say it. They are loving and always so funny. Above all, they are adorable .... and smart. Yeah, I know- everyone says that, but it's the truth. I am often impressed by 3 yr old Anthony's questions and he has an incredible
memory. He is inquisitive & I swear I can hear him thinking sometimes. If he is anything like his dad, he has already begun taking things apart to see how
they work (and it will take a few more years before he manages to get things put back together after disassembling!) Addy is much more mellow than her brother, but none the less- stubborn (and persistent) in her ways. Her smile goes a LONG way. This is everything it is talked up to be .... I only wish I had more time with them than I do. I want to get plenty of practice at the perfect grammie thing!

No comments: