Sunday, November 7, 2010

blustery, blubery, & belly bustin' weekend

This weekend .... we gathered up our courage, along with many friends & family members to pay tribute to my mom. With everything happening so suddenly ... it was nearly a miracle that it turned out absolutely wonderful. 13 days after she went into the hospital, 6 days since she took her last breath & an eternity until we will stop missing her ......
It was a blustery day, and the leaves (where mom & dad used to live) clattered across the lawn like little soldiers heading to the mess hall. Sometimes, they would tendril up like little dust devils and explode into a flutter of autumn colored snowflakes. I sat at the edge of the front porch trying to somehow catch it's frolic thru my lens, but eventually, I just relaxed & enjoyed nature's performance.

Mom's memorial was well planned & the church was full of people who cared about & knew her well. There were faces I'd not seen in many years, and I was sitting on a pew that had not seen my fanny for over 20 years! The flowers, gifted by many, were boutiful bouquets of rich harvest colors, baskets full of pinks & purples, and jewel toned live azaleas & lilies. It was beautiful. The ceremony was not without tears of course, but it was accompanied by stories of Mom .... her loving ways, her supersticious routines, her habits- so engrained in each of us.

And afterward- when we were able to let our hair down, take off the high heels, loosen the neckties, & put away the hankies ..... we spent time with each other ... just like the usual family gatherings with us. Full of food. Full of laughter. Full of "say cheeses".
This is a typical grouping at holidays. Lisa, Cindy, Dionna, Me, & Lindy. Looking like adults, not always acting like it ..... throwing out events & memories into the conversation .... moments so vivid you would think they took place a month ago! I wish I had a picture at my fingertips of us on a typical camping trip or family outing of 40+ years ago. THAT would give you a laugh!!! (yeh ... I know .... you're looking at this picture trying to figure out who could possibly be that old right??!!)
so to you Mom .... I gotta say, we done you proud!! You would have loved all the goodies cooked up (although you would have been telling Pa "no to this" & "not so much of that", & filled a container or two of leftovers so you wouldn't have to cook for a few days.) AND JUST LIKE YOU WOULD DO- Cindy sent home care packages of food with Terry & Garrett! There was much laughter & much-er love. AND ..... you were with us ..... as you will always be. ILYM

No comments: