Saturday, November 13, 2010

On Golden Pond

How lovely the title.
How touching the movie.
How hard it hits home.
I worry about dying. I worry that it will come too soon. Too soon for me. That is, too soon in my own eyes. If I should become seriously ill, or have a life threatening condition or disease & am in constant pain or suffering ... then it wouldn't, or couldn't be too soon but what if. I mean, in an accident or something .... too soon for all the happiness that I am enjoying & appreciating at this time in my life. Too soon to see my grandkids grow up. To see or realize what they will be or do with their lives. too soon. with too many things still on my bucket list!
And I wonder too .... about parenting. There have long been comments or jokes about the need for testing or certifying that someone is ready to parent. This, a job that compares to no other. A purpose in life that influences so many other things & people. And why is it, that so often people repeat the mistakes of their own parents when they vow not to? And the ultimate ... those who are responsible for bringing a child into the world but not taking the responsibility for the actual child. without guilt. without remorse. How fortunate it must be to not give it another thought. How interesting. How sad. How tragic. And, as one of those forgotten ones, how unfair to bear the burden of why. a fruitless task. a battle with one's self that cannot be won.
We can each watch On Golden Pond and come away with any one of a half dozen messages- depending on our own life experiences. If you're lucky, it would only be how fragile life is. Or it can be more .... much more.

No comments: