Thursday, November 4, 2010

letters sent & unsent

I wrote 4 letters yesterday
I mailed one
I decorated one
I tucked away 2
I mailed a letter to someone I had not heard from on over 20 years (much less seen). It was a hard letter to write. It took a lot longer than I expected because in the middle of a sentence I would pause .... or rather my mind would. Trying to figure out what to say & how to say it. This was to someone I loved very much. I use the word in past tense, simply, because I don't know them anymore .... but I know I still care. I always have. We have a history.
Then I wrote a letter to my dad. He is not my birth father .... but he is my dad. He is the one who protected me, scolded me, hugged me hard & sang with me. The fact that he didn't come into my life til I was nearly 11 is unfortunate .... but he has always loved me as his own.
I wrote a letter to each of my sons. Letters to be tucked away for another time. Things I may have said that I don't remember.... things that can never be said too much. Things I needed to make sure I put on paper right now. Before I forget. Before I get too busy. Before more of life passes.

I wrote. I composed. I created. I cried. And then I wrote some more.
Nothing should go unsaid between people who love each other, unless there is no benefit. If it is likely to change a relationship without the discussion. If the other party will be hurt in some way by not knowing. If there is any chance of misunderstanding if the discussion does not take place .... Then talk. or write. "They" say that confession is good for the soul- but I say who's soul? If the words uttered are just to make the speaker feel cleansed, then keep it to yourself. BUT IF the words are to explain, or heal, or understand better .... then let those words flow freely without consequence. Use your voice. Love will grow stronger.

1 comment:

Cindy Welch said...

I am glad you wrote those letters. Its better I believe that family understand where you are coming from or why you did what you did then to wonder. Writing for you I believe is healing, clearing out clutter that makes you feel sad and depressed. A person should never wonder what if. Love ya