I welcome change for the most part. I'm not an old dog (yet) you have to teach new tricks to (usually), but I have to admit that it does take a bit longer for this gently used brain to wrap itself around some of the changes that come about. Digressing to prove my point .... when I first went into the field of optometry it was all completely new & foreign to me. But I was iin my 20's. I soaked up the info and within a couple of months I was doing 3 jobs. Easily. But when I started a new job in my 50's (ouch) ... it just seemed to take forever to catch on to the
how to's of it all. almost overwhelming at times. Now, I
can not compare that to the changes that got me started on this particular post .... but it got me wondering about a lot of different types of changes and the reasonings behind them. The Captain is sorely disappointed at times when he finds that something he really likes is no longer available at all (or has to be ordered over the internet) I used to tease him about it .... but I am beginning to come on board. HOWEVER, none of this is directly related to what brought this up (in my head) ....... LET'S start out with something more positive. The Spouting Horn (fortunately) is not governed by economics and, therefore, is still howling, puffing, or whatever you want to call it- spectators still oooh & ahhhh at it. Whether or not someone is standing there to witness .... the dragon (mo'o) still roars and displays it's anger at being held captive beneath the volcanic rock.


This a good thing.
.....
....
but the kiosks that used welcome us in are now rickity, somewhat disorganized looking, & manned by salespeople. No longer do I get the feeling of aloha that I once experienced. Now it feels like a sales pitch for stuff that isn't even polished up to look pretty. It was easy to walk right past it to the mo'o waiting to pose for a picture. I used to wander up & down a half dozen times just to find that little trinket that would be tucked into my carry on for safe keeping. It's cheaper to go there .... I guess that's a good thing. OF COURSE I realize that economics rule so much of what goes on & what doesn't .... & it's obvious that Hawaii is suffering much like our own California. BUT- I have to say that some of the changes are even the way people are approaching their job or the surroundings they work in. Some of the pride is missing. some of the Aloha. However, we are here for the beauty of the island & it's waters .... & those things don't involve customer service or sales prices (except the gas). So- while I wish we still had our fav fish N chip restaurant, the beachside grill that had kalua pork quesadillas, & the garden restaurant where I tasted my first papaya dressing .... (hopefully) no one can take away the lush beauty of this garden isle & its warm blue waters. They are our yearly invitation.
No comments:
Post a Comment